PhD studentSupervisor: Raffai Péter, (2022)
Extension(s): +36-1-372-2500 / 6321
Biography:As a member of the LIGO Scientific Collaboration my research focuses on gravitational-wave astrophysics and multi-messenger astronomy.
In my BSc diploma thesis I investigated the possibility of discovering (sub)stellar companions around pulsating main-sequence stars using asteroseismological methods on data from the Kepler space telescope. I earned my MSc diploma in astrophysics at the Eötvös University in July 2017. In my MSc diploma thesis I have created the largest and most complete public all-sky galaxy catalog, GLADE and applied it in the identification of source galaxies of electromagnetic and gravitational wave transients. GLADE has been used by several independent discoverers of the EM counterpart of the first observed binary neutron star merger, GW170814, and is in use currently for similar purposes by multiple groups worldwide. Besides continuously improving GLADE, as a member of the LIGO Cosmology group I'm working on using the catalog to help calculating the Hubble constant independently of cosmological models. I'm also working on testing how model-independent pipelines can reconstruct the gravitational waveforms of eccentric compact binary mergers, as well as on how future high-frequency gravitational-wave detectors can aid in detecting post-merger signals form binary neutron star coalescences. For these projects I have earned the prestigious scholarship of the ÚNKP New National Excellence Program 3 times.
Links to associated scientific database profiles:
- Publications in MTMT
- Publications in ORCID
- Publications in ResearcherID
- Publications in Google Scholar
- User profile at doktori.hu
Selected publications of recent years:
- G. Dálya, G. Galgóczi, L. Dobos, et al.: GLADE: A galaxy catalogue for multimessenger searches in the advanced gravitational-wave detector era, MNRAS, 2018, 479, 2, pp. 2374-2381
- LIGO Scientific Collaboration, Virgo Collaboration, ..., G. Dálya, ... et al.: A gravitational-wave standard siren measurement of the Hubble constant, Nature, 2017, 551, 7678, pp. 85-88
- Fishbach, M., Gray, R., ... G. Dálya, ... et al.: A standard siren measurement of the Hubble constant from GW170817 without the electromagnetic counterpart, ApJL, 2019, 871, L13
- Á. Szölgyén, G. Dálya, L. Gondán, P. Raffai: Target-based optimization of advanced gravitational-wave detector network operations, CQG, 2017, 34, 7, id. 075011
- Derekas, A., Murphy, S. J., G. Dálya, et al.: Spectroscopic confirmation of the binary nature of the hybrid pulsator KIC 5709664 found with the frequency modulation method, MNRAS, 2019, 486, p. 2129